Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Fricassee

Every morning a little before six, I make a pot of coffee. Most of the time, this little ritual goes smoothly. And you all know how I value my start-the-day organic coffee.

Well. Today I forgot the coffeepot.

No, really. Filter, beans, water--it was all there, ready for brewing. I hit the "start" button like I always do. And proceeded to unstack the dishwasher, like I do every morning while the coffee brews.

Then I heard coffee hitting the floor. Because, yeah. No pot.

I have never moved so quickly at 6:00 a.m. in my life.

Amazingly, I salvaged almost the whole ten cups. It was a little sludgy, to be sure. But overall, a grand rescue.

That was the start to my day.

A borderline nerdy analogy popped into my head as I sipped my first saved-from-the-brink-of-death cup of coffee: Sometimes, my plots are missing a coffee pot. Lots of "right things" in place, but missing something basic.

And because of the something-basic that's missing, everything else sort of spills out all over the place. Then I've got a big mess to clean up.

Sometimes it's a worldbuilding basic (why does the technology work that way in the first place?). Sometimes it's a character arc basic (what is the character's motivation to do what he just did?). And sometimes it's a bare-bones plot basic (how did they get from A to F without hitting B through E?).

But hey. I'm learning to place my coffeepots now. It's all good.

There you have it. Wisdom from a missing coffeepot.

Or maybe I'm trying REALLY hard to justify one of the dumbest things I've ever done in my life.

Happy weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I've done that before - forgotten the coffee pot...both literally and figuratively. Glad you rescued the coffee...I bet you've saved quite a few stories that way, too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! That just cracked me up. Nice analogy, though. :-)

    Write on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once put a roast in the crockpot without the ceramic pot, so I can empathize! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, I haven't done *that*, but I've totally forgotten the water, or forgotten the coffee grounds, or...

    Yeah dude. (I'm glad I haven't forgotten the pot. That sounds horrible.)

    It's a good writing analogy. Totally nerdy, but pretty much anything can relate to writing if you think about it. So I totally get it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once made a pot of coffee without the coffee. I remembered the water, the filter and the pot, but when the machine finished, all I had was a pot full of hot water. Bleh.

    Way to turn a screw up into a great analogy and a wonderful post, though. Thanks, Authoress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Authoress, that's a wonderful analogy. I worry what setting my kitchen on fire says about my writing. Especially since I did it twice this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *laughs* Wonderful.

    Also, I've totally done that.

    Only I left the room and came back a half hour later to massive stain on the carpet and the lingering scent of orange mocha.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many times have I forgotten the coffee pot? Worse, I don't usually remember in time to save the coffee. It's so easy to forget the most obvious things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no!! Well, I can't say I've done that, but the other day I forgot the coffee itself, and brewed myself a full pot of hot water. Grrrr...

    As a friend of mine pointed out, sometimes you NEED the coffee already in your system to actually make the coffee. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our French Press cracked the other day... how do I relate that to writing?

    But 10 cups of coffee? Really, everyday? Or do you share?

    ReplyDelete