This one encompasses some popular genres, so it's going to be a mad dash. I know the lottery system worked well, but, frankly, I can't put that kind of work into this right now. (I do, after all, have to finish the second draft of my WIP. Yanno.) And yes, I AM planning on automating these contests. I just haven't had (or perhaps taken) the time to get that set up with the wonderful person who has come up with a plan for me.
So. I've changed the submission entry time to 12:00 pm EDT. That's NOON EDT. And I've beefed up the rules list, as follows:
- Submissions WILL NOT OPEN until NOON, EDT on Monday, September 7. Early submissions WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Submissions are for COMPLETED MANUSCRIPTS ONLY. If you wouldn't want an agent to read the entire thing, DON'T SEND IT. If an "entire thing" doesn't exist, you shouldn't even be reading these rules.
- Manuscripts THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN IN ANY SECRET AGENT CONTEST THIS YEAR will not be accepted. Yes, I'll be checking. Yes, this is a pain. But when you read the genres below, you'll see why I have to open the playing field to those who haven't had a chance yet. Please note: By "this year" I mean 2009. If you had an entry in a 2008 contest, you may submit.
- You may submit A DIFFERENT MANUSCRIPT if you've participated in any of the 2009 Secret Agent contests.
- If you are PAST WINNER, please DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST.
- Submissions are for THE FIRST 250 WORDS of your manuscript. And, folks? If you get to 243 words and you hit a period, stop there. Likewise if the last sentence takes you up to 254 words. Never, never, never send a submission that ends in the middle of a
- 256 words is the maximum (for the sake of ending with a period). I'm annoyed that I have to be so anal retentive this time, but there you have it.
(Followed by the excerpt here.)
- No "chapter one," chapter titles, etc.
- You will receive a confirmation email with your post number. I don't always get through quickly. Don't resend.
- Submissions go to facelesswords(at)gmail.com. They DO NOT GO to my authoressmail address. Those of you who are subscribed to this blog via email will note the latter address as the "from." If you use this address for the contest, I WILL NOT SEE YOUR SUBMISSION.
- Erm, I think that's everything.
- Young adult fiction (all genres)
- Middle grade fiction (all genres)
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Paranormal Romance (NO other romance; only paranormal)
Wow, I'm already tired! (Well, not really.)