Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Prunella and Egbert #3

by Beth

Egbert turned to Prunella. A burst of lightning illuminated his stoic face.

“Egbert? What is it?”

He took a steadying breath. “Prunella. I have a confession to make.”

“No. No. Don’t tell me you lost the talisman. We can’t go back through the Jungle of Orly. The howling owls will be waiting, they’ll kill us –“

“I haven’t lost it, darling. I have it here with me right now.”
“Oh.” She cocked her head. “Then what is it?”

“I told you I tucked the talisman in with my sock for safekeeping.”
“Yes?”

“I don’t wear socks on my feet.”

She stared at him a moment then let her gaze lower. “You mean –“

“It’s in my pants.”

Prunella covered her mouth with her hand. “That’s why the Cats of Lol assaulted you so, and – dear God – you fought the goat on your own as I secured the rope. Oh, Egbert, darling, why? And knowing what awaits us in the city!”

“There’s a reason I carried the talisman on my person, Prunella. I couldn’t have made it if the nefarious creatures had ripped my foot off, but other things, other parts...”

Her tears fell in a torrent. “You’re so brave, Egbert. But the centipedes are next and -” She couldn't think on it. It was too horrible.

“I love you, Prunella,” he said, clenching her hand.

“You will always be a man to me,” she whispered through sobs.

5 comments:

  1. LOL! Oh, my, too dang funny! Thanks for the morning laugh . . . oh, and the cringe and crossing of legs in sympathy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! They will sing many maudlin songs of the bravery of Egbert the Emasculated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was the best of the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “You should not speak so of the secret talisman! It has untold powers!”

    “What powers?”

    “I don’t know, they are secret!”


    Lucy, what a great scene! Reminded me of all the great comedians and their antics.

    ReplyDelete