Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Prunella and Egbert #2

by Horserider

“This is it,” Prunella says, examining the door. “Hand me the Talisman.”

Egbert turns to her, expression dark. There was no hint of the light in his blue eyes that Prunella had come to know and love. “No.”

“Come on!” Rain runs down her face and soaks through her clothes. “I’m sick of this! Let’s get it over with.”

“No.” His voice deepens, becoming almost mechanical.

“Fine then, you do it.”

Egbert nods and takes off his shoe and sock. The talisman, a gold orb on a black chain shaped like a snake, dangles from his hand as the sock drops to the ground in front of his bare foot. He holds it up and the door opens with a loud screech. Before Prunella can react, Egbert’s inside and the door is closing again.

“Wait!” Prunella calls.

“It’s too late.” Egbert frowns, turning around to stare at her with almost black eyes.

“But I love you! I thought you loved me.” Prunella tries to start forward and make it through the door before it closes, but no luck.

“That was your first mistake,” Egbert says coldly and the door slams shut.

2 comments:

  1. Is it really that bad? :) Tell me if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know! I think a lot of us don't know if purple prose and over-the-top-ness was intended on any of these, or not...and we don't want to criticize what wasn't supposed to be serious.

    ::shrugs::

    ReplyDelete